Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Confessions of a college graduate

Employment was the worst thing that’s happened to me in a long time. Now that I’m no longer a starving student but a hungry college graduate, I’ve found that it’s become slightly harder to exercise self-control on some of the expenditures that I would have previously resisted in favor of… well, food. I figured if I blogged about this stuff, at least I would have the catharsis of publicly admitting my addictions to the world, Post Secret style (or at least I'd spread the virus to you guys. Misery loves company!)
Vera Cruz: (Oakland) This little gem flourishes in the midst of the franchise Mexican-food giants on Forbes, mainly due to its' student-friendly prices and delicious made-from-fresh offerings. I know a guy who ate at this place twice a day for his entire last semester of college… so don’t blame me for getting a little excessive with their Nacho Supremo.
Hot Haute Hot: A home boutique in the Strip District that features antique furniture, restorations, home furnishing and of course, gorgeous jewelry. The stuff is one-of-a-kind and absolutely beautiful. Let’s just say that this gave me a lot of motivation to study for grad school entrance exams and get a better job. The monsters.
Pennsylvania Macaroni Company: The Strip District. Delicious, delicious cheeses, gourmet extra-virgin olive oil and giant jars of Nutella. PenMac= Nirvana.
Verde Good Beans: Downtown. This place is, blessedly, super-close to my workplace. It offers luxury coffee-type drinks for half the price they are at Starbucks, plus fresh made paninis and even gelato shipped in from Mercurio’s Mulberry Creamery in Shadyside. If I’m feeling super sorry for myself on any given workday, I’ll treat myself to a decaf soy chai latte (yes, they have decaf chai! Oh, happy day) and some Honey Sunflower gelato.

No comments:

Post a Comment