Thursday, September 2, 2010

Some like it hot... Red Hot, that is.

I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Who doesn’t? I do not, however, generally enjoy RHCP covers or “tributes”, because, let’s face it, they are usually just plain bad. (To be fair, this says more about the greatness of the RHCP than the quality of the band trying to cover them.) This is a view that’s I’ve broadcast far and wide, even before I had a blog with which to make pointless statements on the internet. But earlier this summer, I was (happily) forced to eat my words.
Higher Ground is a RHCP tribute band that plays a lot of shows in Pittsburgh, especially the Oakland area. I saw them at Spice Café, on Atwood, which was a perfect, intimate venue because this band loves their audience interaction- which is great, because the crowd I was with loved to sing along. Their set was tight, and they made sure to focus on numbers that made for good dancing and mix it up with some Weezer, Sublime, and other awesome 90’s bands. Higher Ground knows how to put on a great show, so join their group “The Red Hot Chili Peppers Tribute Band” on Facebook for show invites, and try not to get them confused with these Swedish dudes. A plus- the lead singer, Sal Puccini Jr, owns Puccini’s Hair Design in Oakland and if you’re a regular there, he’ll most likely give you a personal greeting from stage. Don’t know about you, but I do love the attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment