Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Brillobox is where your heart is.

So I know this has been exposed to death, but I can’t help but give a little shout-out to my favorite bar in the Pittsburgh area- Brillobox, on Penn Avenue in Lawrenceville. Yes, it’s crowded, and yes, it’s lousy with hipsters, but it also has a consistent selection of exciting new beers, a delicious vegetarian-friendly menu, eclectic décor, and it features badass bands and DJs on a regular basis. Some notable performances of the past year that I’ve seen include their Pandemic World Beats night- a mashup of music from all around the world, Bear Cub (see End of an Era), Donora, and an independent hip-hop show featuring Superfuturisticthugsciencefiction. With the great variation of music and bands plus required the hipster-mocking*, you’ll never be bored. Brillobox always has something fresh to offer its patrons, whether it’s a new band or an $11 import beer. (Just kidding. More like $7).
Speaking of which, I’m ashamed to admit here to a new secret obsession. The implications of being in love with an expensive French Canadian imported beer are not lost on me (bad at money management? Maybe. Budding yuppie? Likely. Punk-ass pussy bitch? Definitely) but I can’t deny it any longer. I love Ephemere Apple. It comes in a giant bottle if you buy it at Brillobox, and its’ light, well-balanced hints of coriander and apple make it almost like juice. Scrumptious, alchoholic juice.

*There's some controversy as to whether I myself am a member of this unfortunate social movement. I would say no. My non-vegetarian friends who don't prize organic gardening, obscure French movies, and gallery-crawls say yes. Either way, I do like to mock hipsters, which would make me a hipster who mocks being a hipster. A metahipster? Urgh. Forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment