Thursday, August 19, 2010

Check out the Mixxer for tongue twisters (foreign tongues, that is)

In case any of you did not know, I hold the dubious honor of being a college graduate as of May 2010. Along with getting to wear the flattering billowy black wizard robe and walk around in front of an audience, I got a well-earned break from studying. But since foreign language skills are hard to acquire and easy to lose, I didn’t want to rest on my laurels for too long. On a recommendation from my darling roommate, I tried The Mixxer, a site designed to match up native speakers of different languages for linguistic and cultural exchange. You post your native language along with the languages you’re “seeking” and your Skype name. I know what you’re thinking, because I thought it too, but it actually is legitimate and not a veiled entry into virtual prostitution. Users can peruse different profiles and send chat invitations to those that pique their interest. Within 10 hours of posting my profile, I got a friendly e-mail message from Kevin, in Nantes, France. We met up on Skype the next day. We divide the time between English and French, correcting each other as we butcher French (me)/English (him). It’s an easy and pleasurable way for people’s people to keep up with their skills, and make adorable overseas friends. I don’t know if everyone on the site is as amicable as the people I’ve met, but if there’s even a chance, then you’d be well advised to try it too. For anyone who wants to quit being a foreign language student and start being a student of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment